History , Myths and Legends
Legend of the Sini
Said to be haunted by Sini, whose legend stretches back 4,000 years. She is a banshee and the protector of portals to other dimensions. She may take on three different personas: an elderly person pleading for assistance; a stunning young woman encouraging guys to join her for immoral pleasures; or a young, pitiful person lost and alone. She reportedly targets only individuals of mixed blood, or men who have demon ancestry. She is said to be frequently found washing the skulls of the men she has enticed to their deaths at one of the fords.
Pwll Y Wrach
The Witches Pool
Locals believed that the pool was used for ducking those who were accused of being witches in between the 15th and 16th century.
To test whether or not someone was a witch, they would be thrown into the pool. If they sink and drown, it would confirm they weren’t a witch. If they float, that means they were, they were then hauled out and burnt to death.
Reality is if you was taken to the pool witch or not you was never coming back.
The Stone of Bodvoc
The Bodvoc Stone now forms part of the Margam Stone Collection.
originally stood as a monument stone on one of a line of Bronze Age cairns on Margam Mountain. Its inscription reads; `BODVOCI HIC IACIT FILIUS CATOTIGIRNI PROENPUS ETERNALI VEDOMAVI? ?
Here he lies, son of Cattegern [or Cattegirn], and great-grandson of Eternalis Vedomavus). Eternalis was presumably a local ruler.
The Great Hole, or Tylles Fawr, was the initial name given to the Chartist Cave. The Chartist Rebels utilised the cave in 1839 to stash weapons like pikes in preparation for their November 1839 attack on and seizure of Newport. It has been referred to as The Chartist Cave or Chartists' Cave ever since. The SVCC discovered a descending path that led to a lower level room with a variety of passages branching off it in 1969 while excavating the cave's floor.
Memorial Crash Site
A memorial to the Canadian crew of the Wellington Bomber, which sadly crashed into the hillside during a training exercise during World War II, may be found on its western flank of Waun Rydd a mountain situated in the Brecon Beacons
The Tragic story of the vickers wellington bomber MF509 began on the night of November 20th 1944 from operational training unit, Wellesbourne, Mountford. The aircraft set out on a nighttime cross-country training exercise but developed trouble with their engine. The engine forced them into clouds which resulted in heavy ice forming on the wings. The impaired engine wasn't able to generate enough power to maintain height and the aircraft crashed into the southwest slopes of Carreg Goch. All six Canadian crew were killed.
Mynydd Farteg Fawr
The dog stone memorial of Mynydd Farteg Fawr.
Inscribed on the stone
"In memory of Carlo
A celebrated setter
the property of HM Kennard Esq, Crumlin Hall
Accidentally shot August 12th 1864"
Carlo the dog was accidently killed during a shooting party organised by the Blaenavon Company on the 'Glorious Twelfth' of 1864.
Kennedy ordered that the dog be buried where he was shot and then arranged for the memorial to be cast, presumably in the Blaenavon Ironworks, and erected over the grave.
King Arthur Stone
Legend has it that while travelling in Carmarthenshire, King Arthur removed a stone from his shoe and threw it across the Loughor Estuary. By the time it reached its final resting point at Cefn Bryn the stone had become an enormous boulder.
A visit to the stone will not only allow you to see this incredible Welsh legend from close quarters you will also find yourself at the site of a Neolithic tomb dating back to 2500 B.C.
Mynydd Y Drum
There is a legend that three cauldrons of gold are buried on the hill's summit, guarded by demons. There is a prophecy that the treasure will one day be claimed by a young girl
Llanbedr Ar Y Mynydd
King Arthur's resting place
Formally know as ST peters church where some say to be the final resting place of King Arthur. A sword once found after an excavation in the early 80 by the Blackett and Willison brothers led to a further excavation in the early 90's but no remains were found that would belong to king Arthur. And although he was never found etched in the sword in latin was the words "Artorius Rex Filius Mauricii"or the soul of artious which would indicate that the site is indeed associated with a man named Arthur, and the king of Gwent & Glywysing would seem the most likely candidate
Whilst returning to base in Warwickshire, the Anson L914, crashed into the mountain side on a cross country navigational exercise.
Mr Prescott, a survivor on board, sought the help from a nearby farm, and returned to the crash site.
Flight officer Coombes and Mc Donald were rescued, but F/O Coombes died of his injuries later in hospital.
A plaque was placed in the churchyard at Glyntawe, dedicated to the local men who helped in the search operation
Wellington T2520 Bomber
A memorial on Cefn Yr Ystrad to six men who died after their bomber crashed on return from a mission in France in 1940
The History of a Welsh Prince
The cave of Owain Glyndŵr
Legend has it that Owain Glyndŵr, one of Wales’ most well-known princes, once hid from his enemies in a cave on the slopes of Moel yr Ogof. ‘
According to the story, Glyndŵr was being pursued by English soldiers and climbed up a 300-foot rock crevice on Moel Hebog. The soldiers refused to climb the crevice after Glyndŵr, returning to nearby Beddgelert instead. Glyndŵr came across a cave where he hid until the soldiers returned to England.
The cave you see today has been known as Ogof Owain Glyndŵr ever since.
The Lonely Shepherd
Y Bugail Unig
A sherperd that was said to have been incredibly cruel to his wife, so much so that she was so miserable by his beatings and brutality that she drowned herself in the River Usk.
For his evil ways the sheperd was turned to stone by a local witch.
The stone sits on the hill in search for his wife awaiting her return.